You Too Can Be A Git Night King!

Who doesn’t love bringing things back to life?!?! Now my third non-language micromaterial, this one focuses on recovering a deleted local branch in git. Essentially if you have some work that you’ve completed and pushed somewhere remotely (or it’s stored on someone else’s computer), then you can always get a copy of the work back. […]

Git merge micromaterial

Since I’m having fun with these software micromaterials, I thought I’d continue on with another simple one. Along with working on rebasing, resolving merge conflicts is another thing that learners new to git need to work on. If you want the longer explanation, you can go straight to the Github repository, but the short version is […]

Now /wɛr/ Were We…

I’m happy to finally have gotten a semi-working web interface for the generated minimal pairs. The data behind it is still not great (only 360 videos’ worth of audio), but I’m hoping to feed it with a bunch more data (approx 4x more) within the next month or so. Since last time, I updated it […]

Minimal Pairs Generation: current status

So the process of automating a pipeline to generate audio for practicing minimal pairs has been largely successful, in that I’m able to take a YouTube URL (or more precisely, multiple URLs) and from that generate data ready to be sent to a server for use in creating a website to help students practice listening […]

Mass Producing Minimal Pairs

Although my recent attempts to get something meaningful out of a wikipedia data dump have hit a few walls, I still hope to eventually do something interesting with applying named entity recognition or some sort of (semantic?) dependency parsing to be able to construct simple comprehension questions. But that’s being shelved for the time being. […]

When Did Adam Write This Blog Post?

So since I haven’t really developed that much (lots of stuff in the works), thought I would just riff a bit about some current thoughts related to using Natural Language Processing and/or Machine Learning to create micromaterials (…but mostly NLP). I’ve been playing around with the Stanford CoreNLP library (which also means I’m now firmly […]

A Summer (possibly longer?) Break From The Web

Given the 2 month hiatus from any posts, it’s probably obvious that I haven’t been working on web-based micromaterials with any concerted effort. Which is true. So I thought I’d write a quick post about the things that I HAVE been spending my time on, which I suppose are tangentially related: #1) Pypobot This is […]

Telegram Chatbot for Predicting Sentence Stress

Based on the recent work (starting from pg. 184) of Wayne Dickerson, I decided to see if I could mock up a basic chatbot on Telegram that would use the #NAIL rule system to assign primary and anchor stress in a simple informal sentence. Dickerson’s research has suggested that there are usually two stress peaks in a […]